Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Hola! From Barcelona

My luck continues at its usual level with heavy rain all day. But it is much warmer here than in England. We are staying at a nice hotel on La Rambla, Barcelona's version of the Champs Elysses. Our guides have warned us that this is the European capital of the pickpocket industry and we should exercise extreme caution. Debby is very worried that if these warnings continue the poor pickpockets will have no money for Christmas!! Did a little shopping but it is expensive. The booze, however, is another story. We bought a litre of wine today for 90 cents and believe me, I have tasted worse.


We visited the Cathedral de la Sagrada Familia on our city tour today. What a magnificent structure. Unique in all of Europe, it defies classification. It was designed by the Catalan architect, Antoni Goudi, and its style is simply explained as "Gaudi."
Even with its sometimes bizarre design, it honours religious symbols through its numerous sculptures on both the interior and exterior. The old Doc would be proud of me today.

There is a tradition in Catalonia that all nativity scenes contain a figure "doing poopie" as they say here. Apparently this signifies that the guest has been well fed and feels comfortable in the home. Here is a shot of me practising for next time I visit Michele Vokey. If I did this I would't be the only one having a shit fit!
Early start tomorrow - back to France.

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment