Friday, December 3, 2010

Day 6&7 - Au Revoir France-Hello Ireland

I awoke on Thursday to a light snow fall. No problem...unless you are in France. Public Transit was not operating so I called all the Taxi operators in town, Etienne, who advised me that he would not come out because "the snow it mek a den-ger." When I told him there were lots of cars about he suggested I "Faire le Pouce" ( hitch-hike) When the hotel manager heard this he offered to drive me to the station.
I arrived in Cherbourg in a raging snowstorm-that's the city behind me in the first photo. Is a foot of snow unusual here? I would say considering they have palm trees!The taxis here were not out either ( den-ger, den-ger) so I had to walk 3K to the ferry terminal. I had planned to go to the acquarium but it was closed because of the weather. I had to wait seven hours for the ferry and finally left at 9:30. The Oscar Wilde was great - more like a cruise ship than a ferry. I got into a card game called The Wheel with a bunch of Irish truckers. I can't explain the rules but the talk was a lot like Tarabish:
" Where'd you get dat fookin' ace?"
"Up me arse."
"Fook off ya eegit."
"Na, you fook off ya gobshite!"
One of the truckers had his 10 year old son, Michael, with him. I got him to say "Ther'ye magically delicious" for half a TWIX bar. The poor little bugger had no idea what I was doing to him.
I arrived in Ireland at 4pm and hopped the bus to Dublin. There is a foot of snow here too! When I got off the bus I fell on my arse on the icy sidewalk. The bus driver apologized and said the "fookin' eegits in Dublin didn't get enough brass from the EU to put grit (sand) on the bleedin' paths."

Tomorrow - Guiness Brewey

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment