Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Day 17-18 - London

 Started the day with a visit to Stratford-upon-Avon, home of the Bard. I was amazed that the original home is still standing. The home is on the town's main street where there is a welcome centre called "The Shakesperience," I detect a Disneyesque influence. The most interesting part was that one of the guides could recite any speech from Shakespeare upon request! I requested Marc Antony's " friends, Romans... and off he went in full flight. Yes, Deborah, I tipped him.
Stratford is also the home of a gentleman who emigrated to America, became wealthy and endowed a university in Boston. His name is John Harvard. There is no Harvariety welcome centre.

The next stop was Oxford. The tour guide asked, "Does anyone know what Oxford is famous for?" Duh! Gimme a break. " Inspector Morse," I said. The guide replied, " well, yes, but is there anything else? A university maybe." I love screwing with people.

DOC CAMPBELL MOMENT - at Christ Church, Oxford, the guide pointed out a building that contained Doric,Ionic and Corinthian columns with a Tuscan thrown in. The second photo shows them all, albeit not too clearly as it was getting dark. I will try to fix this up later.
The days are very short here. I didn't realize just how far north England is. It doesn't get light until around 8am and starts to get dark at 3:30.

I got back into town in time to take in a performance of War Horse, a play based on the novel of the same name. It is the story of a boy whose horse, Joey, is sold to the army in WWI. The boy enlists and is sent to France where he tries to find Joey. Because I was late getting a ticket I had to sit in the second row where I found myself in a German trench in the middle of the action. The horses were life size puppets operated by three men and were very real. There were times I was nearly kicked in the head. I would highly reccommend this play...but don't sit so close.

Deborah has still not arrived. Bad weather has delayed her flight for two days so she is driving to Halifax today and should arrive tomorrow, Thursday. The coach tour starts Friday so I am keeping my fingers crossed.


No comments:

Post a Comment