Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Day 10 - Manchester

The streets of Manchester are deserted. The Christmas Fayre is empty! TWord is there has been a tragic tram accident on the outskirts of the city and everyone is at home, glued to the telly, hungry for news of this tragedy. There are reports that at least four people have been killed and many more injured. Apparently the tram left the tracks and crashed into a corner shop while a second car has destroyed a news agent's across the street. Names of the dead have not been released and may not be known until the one hour live episode of the 50th Anniversary of Coronation Street on Thursday night!
Cold here but little snow. Megan Capstick took me around the sights and then out for a curry. She had to keep me busy until 10pm so that I would not watch Corrie.I had to ask about her father, Angus, meeting Peter Barlow form Corrie. She says it was embarrassing. Angus harrassed the poor man like the crazed fan he is until promised to take him to the set. I think he just wanted to get away.
On the flight from Dublin I sat with the actor who plays Liam on Corrie. He was very nice but not too talkative. He did give me an autograph but didn't offer to take me to the set. It was only after I met up with Megan that I learned his character has been killed off some time ago. Maybe that's why he was on the $7.99 Ryanair flight.
Ryanair is the 21st century's version of travelling steerage. You pay to put your bags on, the baggage crew check you in and they sell everything from smokes to dirty calendars on board.There is no seat assignment, you sit anywhere, so boarding is like a race at the start of an Easter Egg hunt.There is a rumour that they are considering installing pay toilets.
Tonight - Snow White - the Panto!!

No comments:

Post a Comment