Monday, October 18, 2010

The Empire Strikes...

39 Days To Go

With 39 days to go and train tickets booked, the French rail system has gone on strike! This includes the Eurostar. The main issue in the dispute is the French governments plan to raise the mandatory retirement age to 62! The gall of the gauls!!! The Belgians are also on strike, but since I am not going there, it is of little concern. Today I find out that the London Tube ( subway - trains, not the restaurant) is also experiencing intermittant work stoppages.
Add to this a warning from my mother that I shouldn't be going to "Europe and thoses places" because Wolf Blitzer says there will be terrorist attacks. SACRE BLEU !!! Now I know how Claire feels in this picture.
Terrorist threats may mean that the crowds will be smaller... there is always a silver lining.

I've made some contacts with Rotary Clubs in France and Ireland and hope to get some visits in. Rotary Clubs always make you welcome and are a great source of connections and local information.

DOC CAMPBELL MOMENT

Spoke with fellow SA Alum Nancy Woolgar on Friday and she reminded me to look for Doric, Corinthian and Ionic columns while on my travels. Thanks, Nancy!

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like nothing but a huge drunk to me !!!
    Who is that guy in the first couple of Sept. notes with the big dark horn-rimmed specs on?
    ZOK

    ReplyDelete