Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Countdown Begins


September 22, 2010 - Today is my 61st birthday. I love birthdays, especially my own. My Love tells everyone "best wishes only" and I tell them the best wish they could give me is a present. This year I am giving myself a present, a trip to Europe. I leave on November 26, exactly 65 days from today. I have a lot to do in that time- get outfitted, decide on an itinerary, choose type of accomodations, etc. So please follow along as I prepare to go on the trip of a lifetime. Below is a history of how I got to this point. Enjoy!

PROLOGUE


Dr. G.G. Campbell was the Principal of Sydney Academy and taught me history in Grade 10. The course was The History of Civilization and he taught it without a text book. His knowledge, gained from years of study and personal travel, kept us spellbound. In hindsight, he was the best teacher I ever had! He instilled in me a desire to learn and to travel. I dedicate this adventure to his memory and will report "Doc Campbell Moments" as I travel.


In the spring of 1968 I was supposed to go bumming around Europe with my best Friend, Mike NacKinnon, but I chickened out. Following graduation from Sydney Academy, Mike worked in Ontario for the summer and left for Europe in the fall. I was left behind to start university, drool over his postcards ( no blogs in 1968) and collect his pogey. Mike brought back a mug from the Munich Oktoberfest which got broken when we hitch-hiked to Margaree to celebrate his return. I promised him I would replace it so that is on my TODO list.

                                                     .........continued

No comments:

Post a Comment